UNESCO Site and More in Vigan, Ilocos Sur

I've been wanting to visit Vigan specially the UNESCO heritage site, Calle Crisologo , for the longest time and I finally got my chance :)

From Manila it's probably about 8 hours travel time by bus. I came from San Fernando, La Union so it took about 3 hours. You can take a Partas Bus to Vigan from Manila or in my case, from La Union.

When I arrived in Vigan, it felt so different. For me it was like either being transported in time during the Spanish Colonization (except ofcourse nobody wore the traditional baro't saya anymore), or I was in a totally different place, definitely not the Philippines and then it just sunk into me that I am in the Philippines :)


In the bus station there are plenty of tricycle drivers lined up waiting for passengers. You can hire a tricycle driver for PhP150.00 or about $3.65 an hour to tour you around and even take your pictures :)

The first place I visited was the UNESCO heritage site, Calle Crisologo. Check out this instagram photo I took of the place :)


This place is considered a heritage site because of the preserved Spanish Colonial style structures, in asia... the cobble stones and ofcourse the Philippine Calesa (the horse carriage).




Maintenance was going on when i was there though. An eyesore but I just thought that the next time I visit, the place would look more beautiful already :)

My next stop was the Bantay Bell Tower of the Santuario de Nuestra Senora de Caridad, Saint Augustine Parish, Bantay, Ilocos Sur.


It was built in 1591-1592 and served as the bell and watch tower of the town.

There are 4 bells. Arranged by size from right to left. The smallest one is used for baptismals, the next is for weddings, the next for funerals and the last bell is used for warnings like storms, fire, etc.






This big one that the local tour guide is holding on to is the regular church bell.





From the tower you can see the view of Vigan and sone nearby mountains :)

After the Bantay Tower, my trike driver for the day brought me to the "Burnayan" or the pottery. The pots made here are the local clay pots they call the "Burnay". These earthenware are what they use to ferment our fish sauces, etc which makes it taste extra special.




My dad told me that when he was young, theybhad a big burnay at hone where they store their drinking water and it helped keep the water cool.

After making the burnay, they let it dry indoors for 10 days and then they bake it for a day in this large oven


After the Burnayan we went to the Hidden Garden.

If you're a nature and plant lover then this is the place for you. I just like admiring beautiful and unique lowers and taking photos of them. There a few animals here and there like this big lizard we call the "bayawak"



Our last stop was the Baluarte. The Baluarte is the famous zoo in Vigan. Although it's not your typical zoo with plenty of animals, there are animals walking around freely like the ostriches, llamas, camels and ducks.






They have 3 tigers inside but only one of them seem to like having her head scratched and her picture taken with her mouth open. Her name is Queenie :)



I didn't have the time to go to the other museums which gives me an excuse to go back to Vigan :) by the way, the places I featured today, they don't have admission fees. Only a small donation of even just PhP20.00 or about $0.50 will do.

1 Response to "UNESCO Site and More in Vigan, Ilocos Sur"

  1. Mobile App Developers says:
    September 10, 2015 at 8:27 AM

    This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...